BY PENELOPE CAKE, GOODWILL GUEST BLOGGER
When I went to the Goodwill in Egg Harbor Township, NJ I found this beautiful lace dress but it was size XL. I thought maybe it would look nice on me anyway if it draped attractively over my body, which it did. Another problem was the gaping armholes so I knew that I needed a cami underneath. Going through cami’s at the Goodwill is quite a job, but they have so many great ones and a lot of them are brand new.
I knew that I wanted one that had a little lace around the top to peak out of the neckline of the dress and of course I was able to find the perfect one. I just love the Goodwill. You can always find what you are looking for, or better yet, an unexpected treasure!
The sunset over the bay in Cape May was so beautiful that it inspired me to dance!
I was also able to rescue a horseshoe crab by turning her over so that she could go back to the sea.
Do you get creative with items you find at Goodwill? Let us know how in the comments!
You can also read this post on Penelope’s blog at penelopecakefashion.blogspot.com/.
It’s official. Goodwill’s Outlet Store is NOW OPEN at 330 Benigno Blvd. in Bellmawr, NJ. Customers can experience a new way to shop Goodwill-BUY THE POUND. Unless otherwise marked, merchandise is sold for 99 cents per pound. Select items, like furniture, may be individually priced.
Do you enjoy any of the following?
• Thrift shopping
• Huge Bargains on clothing and household items
• Repurposing items into crafty new things you find on Pinterest
Well, if you do, then a trip to the Goodwill Outlet Store is what you need in your life! Come prepared to shop. The Outlet Store is not set up like other Goodwill stores. Pods/bins of merchandise are brought out onto the sales floor approximately every two hours so shoppers can sort through and pick their best bargains. The pods are chock-full of clothing, housewares, toys, books, shoes…you name it and you can probably find it!
Here’s how it works:
• Browse through the pods to find treasures galore!
• When you are ready to check out, head to one of the three checkout counters.
• Place all individually priced items on the register counter.
• Push your cart onto the scale.
• Step away from the scale to let the cashier weigh and ring up your purchase.
It’s that easy! And you can feel good about shopping Goodwill’s Outlet Store. By shopping Goodwill, you help keep items out of local landfills and support a great cause. Proceeds from the sale of donated items support Goodwill’s job training programs and career services that help local residents with special needs get to work.
Here are some other helpful tips to know before you shop!
The Outlet Store accepts cash, Visa, MasterCard and Discover. You may also use gift certificates issued by Goodwill Industries of Southern NJ & Philadelphia. The Store does not accept coupons or other special discounts.
All merchandise and furniture are sold on a cash-and-carry basis. All merchandise is sold AS IS at the Outlet Store and all sales are final. There are no refunds or exchanges.
Hours of Operation
Monday – Saturday 9 a.m. – 9 p.m. & Sunday 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Have you shopped Goodwill’s Outlet store? What bargains did you find?
Everywhere I turn lately the word “thrifting” keeps popping up. I hear it mentioned in TV shows and movies and see the term coined in magazines and online. According to Urban Dictionary, thrifting refers to shopping in thrift stores for trendy, vintage clothing and/or other items.
Have you considered thrifting?
Not only has thrift shopping become socially acceptable, its also becoming a trend to find out who can land the best deals. You can be sure you’ll find the best brands for less at Goodwill. We make sure that our stores are clean, well organized and stocked full of awesome finds.
Since I started working at Goodwill, I have scored some major bargains! Like the BCBG MaxAzria dress priced for $8.99 with the tags still on it; or the Sarah Jessica Parker Smitten purse I found for $3.99. Both of which would have retailed well over $100. What’s even better than the savings, is the countless compliments I receive on these items!
In my years shopping Goodwill stores and filing through the racks and shelves of endless treasures I’ve come up with some tips that I want to share with you. I promise, once you start, you won’t be able to stop!
TIPS THAT CAN HELP STRETCH YOUR BUDGET AND BECOME A THRIFT SHOPPING STAR
- Plan and map out your trip: Visit Goodwill’s website to find the locations closest to you. Also, keep a running lists of wants and needs so you know what to look for. Need a lamp for your guest bedroom? New bookshelf for the den? Your list will help guide you if you decide to stop by a store.
- Time is your friend: Be willing to look, for a long time, through a lot of stuff. Thrift stores have great finds, but great finds mean diligent hunting.
- Try it on: Or at least do a rough measurement. It’s better to get something too big that can be tailored than something too small that can only be sewn into something else or given away.
- Keep an open mind: Think creatively because everything can be altered, layered, or turned into and entirely different piece of fabulous clothing.
- Buy what you LOVE: Keep personal style in mind since it’s easy to forget what you’ll actually wear and get excited about something that seems cool on the rack, but isn’t when you get it home.
- Check Labels: Look for brand names as these are items that are usually high quality and made to last.
- Get creative: People are getting more and more creative with thrifted finds with the help of sites like Pinterest! Spot an old brass lamp? A little spray paint goes a long way. For those who have basic sewing skills, a ladies skirt or even a tablecloth can easily be turned into an adorable dress! Keep your eyes peeled for fabrics that appeal to you.
- Shop Often. With thousands of items donated every day, you never know what’s in store!
- Get some, give some: Keep your wardrobe from overflowing by practicing “one item in, one item out.” Donate what no longer fits in your closet to the Goodwill store you just purchased from!
Thrifting is fun, helps you save money and best of all proceeds from the sale of items in Goodwill’s retail stores help fund job training programs and career services for people with special needs in the community. It also keeps perfectly usable goods out of local landfills-the ultimate recycling practice!
What are you waiting for? Visit one of Goodwill’s stores today!
Do you have any “thrifting” tips?
Let’s face it–Back-to-School shopping can be an expensive adventure for many families. A single outfit (jeans, top, and shoes) can cost close to $80. For the same NAME BRAND outfit, it may cost nearly double! Here at Goodwill, we are your Back to School headquarters for savings. In an economy where it is just not reasonable to spend $80 or more on an outfit, Goodwill can provide you with same name brand clothing at up to 90% less expensive. Our donors are generous in donating their Ralph Lauren, Hollister, Lacoste, Polo, American Eagle, Nike and LOTS of other great brands. Also, shoe brands such as Nike, Adidas, Uggs, and Timberland, just to name a few, are sold on a daily basis at just a fraction of the original price.
We are very excited to bring you our Back to School line of quality, clean, and affordable clothing along with accessories such as backpacks and shoes. We will also have school supplies such as pens, pencils, notebooks, and much more. So, please stop in your nearest Goodwill this Back to School season and reap the rewards of tremendous SAVINGS while supporting one of America’s top charities and going green!
P.S. Enjoy even more savings with this Back-to-School coupon!